Reishi / Ganoderma / Lingzhi Mushroom Supports Your Immune System and Prostate Health
The Reishi mushroom whole-body extract in Pomoxi has multiple powerful whole-body health benefits that also profoundly affect prostate health.
Reishi is a medicinal mushroom that has broad spectrum benefits – it stimulates brain neurons and helps prevent the formation of new fat cells by blocking a wide array of fat cell producing genes.
Resish whole mushroom has been used for its health benefits as far back as 2,000 years listed in Traditional Chinese Medical treatises.
Hundreds of unique bioactive compounds have recently been discovered in Reishi. Reishi whole extract targets a wide array of deleterious processes that contributes to the aging process. This includes:
- Protecting whole-body DNA damage.
- Increasing the expression of Sirtuan genes that centrally control the aging process, genes found in fruitflies, roundworms, mice, and humans. (Sirt 1-6)
- Protecting mitochondria, the energy and free radical generating organelles inside all cells, from their own free radicals.
- Restoring mitochondrial function, which declines with age.
- Helping to block mitochondrial DNA mutations.
- Boosting the immune system to help identify and destroy aberrant cells.
- Protecting kidney tubule cells that leads to poor kidney health.
- Boosting the body’s total antioxidant capacity (TAC) by acting as a potent antioxidant itself.
- Boosting the body’s total antioxidant capacity by stimulating the production of internal antioxidant enzymes – S.O.D., Catalase, Glutathione Peroxidase, and Phase II liver antioxidants.
Prostate Clinical Studies
Reishi mushroom inhibits 5-alpha reductase, an important enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone and is upregulated in enlarged prostate glands.
Reishi extract at a dose of 6 mg once daily showed the strongest 5-alpha reductase lowering effects of 19 medicinal mushrooms tested in dose-ranging studies in men with lower urinary tract symptoms.
88 men over the age of 4 years were treated with 6 mg. of Reishi extract for 12 weeks in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The Reishi at that low a dose, remarkably lowered 5-alpha reductase levels in the prostate gland more than the other 19 medicinal mushrooms.
At the University of Haifa’s Institute of Evolution, 201 extracts from 68 types of fungi were tested on androgen receptor activity. Androgen receptors control cell proliferation.
Eleven of these extracts inhibited androgen receptor activity more than 40% and fourteen of these extracts inhibited prostate cell growth.
Reishi was found to be the most effective and had the highest activity of all extracts tested against androgen receptor inhibition in prostate cells.
Reishi mushroom extract increases the lifespan of mice. Lifespan was extended 30–66 days at 50% survival, 46–110 days at 20% survival and 61 to 148 days at 10% survival. The overall lifespan increase was 20%. Survivor analysis showed significantly extended lifespan with Reishi and reduced death risks, with the best survivor curve observed in mice receiving Reishi mushroom supplementation equivalent to the human dose. According to the researchers “Our data thus far indicates that Reishi extends the lifespan of normal aging mice.”
There is a large body of accumulating data that shows Reishi boosts immune surveillance through deeper and more sophisticated mechanisms than we previously realized. Reishi forces altered cells to show tell-tale biomarkers so that immune cells can identify and attack them. Aberrant cells produce cell membrane evasion proteins to keep immune cells from identifying them. Furthermore, Reishi induces molecules required for the immune cells to kill altered cells once they are identified.